Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Story of an African Farm I (through Bonaparte Blenkins (pg. 81))

Coming from Tess, how do you find the depiction of the children in Story of an African Farm? What do you think of the fervor of Waldo? Of the contrast between Em and Lyndall?

Alternately, look at some of the descriptions of the land in Story of an African Farm. How do they relate or differ from nature in Tess? What does this do to the tenor of the book -- its style and sense of place?

Try to focus on a specific passage. Your board.

2 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger ETSTEAK said...

The first two pages of the book actually reminded me hardcore of the beginning of Hardy's The Return of the Native with Rainbarrow and the moonlight and the otherwise emptiness.
The rest of the book though is actaully really boring, but for some reason I really like it. I even skipped The Daily Show to keep reading which was really weird, especially because not too much is really going on. But whatever, as long as I don't mind reading it, he can take as long as he wants to develop the plot.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger ETSTEAK said...

I don't really know where this book is going... at all. But I still really like it. The nararator's commentary on life is really cute and then all of a sudden the story starts up again.

I was a little sad to see Bonaparte leave. I know that he was the bad guy but I still thought he was really funny. I dunno, the way he talked was so ridiculous and the fact that Tant' Sannie liked him so much made the book fun. Hopefully someone else as cool as him will stop by the farm soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home