Thursday, February 16, 2006

_Dorian Gray_ II

I know you're all deep in the last minute-polishing of your essays, but take some time to post a few last comments about Dorian. What do you think of the turn toward decadence his life takes? Is there anything about it you find particularly interesting/intriguing? How about his confrontation with Basil and the murder--did it seem justified/warranted? By the end of the book, do you still see Dorian as *humorous*? How does it compare to the resolution of Jekyll and Hyde?

Finally, if the credo of book is "Art for art's sake" -- how does the resolution stack up? Does it seem to be the kind of stand-alone resolution and wholeness that Wilde aspires to? Your board.

1 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger ETSTEAK said...

Every time I read this story (which is all the time, haha), I always feel so bad for Dorian at the end. He wants to change (whether for selfish reasons or what doesn't matter to me) so badly, and yet he can't. No matter what he tries to do he's stuck in the rut of having an ugly soul. I unno... I think I would get really frusterated, too, and would prolly end up pulling the same stunt. Poor kid.

It is neat though how he is able to fool the brother by stepping into the light.

Ok, I'm kinda out of comments for now. kbye.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home